Monday, July 16, 2012

Thing #6, Web 2.0 tools

www.amazon.com

As someone who have struggled staying up to date with technology I was completely against shopping online. I have always enjoyed going to a store and being able to pick out what I wanted and have it in my hands right away and if that store didn't have what I wanted than I guess I didn't need it. Several months ago my favorite in town bookstore closed; the only other one in town had horrible customer service and an awful collection that was always disorganized. I'm an avid reader stuck with no where to get new books, so I had to face my aversion to buying online and try it out or start driving over an hour to the next nearest bookstore, which I seriously considered. I  chose to try out Amazon; lots of people I knew used it so I figured maybe it wasn't too bad. Amazon is a great online shopping tool that I highly recommend to people. It is easily navigable and has nearly everything someone could want. I've bought school books, just for fun books, movies, and gifts. There are still somethings I can't find on there or that I still prefer to go to a store to buy; but it has definitely become an indispensable tool in my shopping experience.
On Amazon, you can easily set up your account to make purchases or create wishlists of items that you want. It is a very easily navigable site, geared to even the most out of date users. There are thousands of items with free or reduced shipping; you can select how quickly you want your items to get to you. Items range in price from as low as $0.01 and up; used items are categorized by how used the item is, this can be helpful if you're concerned about more than just price. Most people don't want a book that has missing pages or broken binding, but some people don't care. You can purchase so many different kinds of items clothing, food, electronics, music, movies and more. The search bar is Amazon's most useful tool, you can type in whatever you are looking for and narrow that search by selecting the department the item you're looking for is under. In a school setting teachers or administrators could use Amazon to get new books or tools for the class rooms.

I chose to talk about Amazon because I was familiar with this site, but there are so many more sites that this class is having me utilize that will be helpful throughout my education and when I begin teaching. Sites like Diigo, Google Earth, or Hulu could be used to enhance lesson plans or be used in a library to help students with homework assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment